Friday, November 12, 2010

Old school? You don't even know old school.

And neither do I, really. Even though I cut my teeth on AD&D 2e, there are guys out there that make me feel like a babyfaced nooblet because I never played OD&D and haven't ran roughshod through any number of Gygax-penned modules. I'm in a weird place, because when 3e released 10 years ago (!) my insular little gaming group refused to move to the new system. In retrospect, that was probably a good decision, as unrevised 3e has a myriad of problems I didn't ever have to deal with.

After years of playing Kenzer and Company's fantastic HackMaster game, we've started a Pathfinder campaign. I had minimal contact with 3e and none at all with 3.5, so I'm coming at Pathfinder from a very different angle than most. I guess I'm not Pathfinder's target audience of people who were so involved in 3.5 that they don't want to move on to the rather alien 4th edition, but Pathfinder suits my needs as a continuation of "Gary's game." I like Paizo's attitude of breathing new life into old tropes instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater and converting to something MMO-player friendly with it's silly anthropomorphic character races (I'm looking at you, dragonborn) and character powers. It's also easier to fit the stacks of old modules and resource books from the 30+ years of D&D history into the campaign.

So I'm looking for the old school experience with a brand new system that's based on a system that is now "outdated" but is new to me and my regular group. Sometimes I think I'm just trying to make life hard on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment